Where’s my money?

So you’ve completed a project or two, and now want to get paid.

Step 1 – the invoice

First, according to your situation, choose one of the links to an invoice template. The templates provided are for reference only. They cannot be edited: If you would like to use the template to create an invoice in GoogleDocs, you will have to make a copy.

And if you are making an invoice for the first time, why not have some fun? Add a personal touch to the templates below by adding your own formatting and images. Here’s an example of a good invoice.

If you pay tax in Italy…

If you pay tax in Italy and have a codice fiscale but you do not have a partita IVA: you will be paid with Ritenuta d’acconto – 20% of your income will be withheld at source and paid on your behalf to the Italian tax authority. Please use this template to create a receipt for payment.

If you pay tax in Italy and have a codice fiscale AND you have a partita IVA, you have to invoice us for your services. As a libero professionista, you probably have your own invoice template, but just in case, we’ve provided this template

If you pay tax in the UK…

If you pay tax in the UK and are registered as self-employed there, you have to invoice us for your services. We’ve provided this template to help you produce an invoice. Please note the declaration to be signed at the bottom of the invoice. It will be necessary for you to print, sign and scan (or photograph) the invoice before sending it as an attachment to info@smarter-english.com

Moreover, you will need to send us a Certificate of Residency available from HMRC though this form. Sending us this certificate, together with the signed declaration on your invoice, will enable you to be paid in full without your invoice being subjected to a withholding tax by the Italian tax authority. Please scan and email the certificate to info@smarter-english.com

If you pay tax in Spain…

If you pay tax in Spain, you have to invoice us for your services. You can do this as a freelancer or as an autonomo (speak to your friendly contable for more info). We’ve provided this template to help you produce an invoice. Please note the declaration to be signed at the bottom of the invoice. It will be necessary for you to print, sign and scan (or photograph) the invoice before sending it as an attachment to info@smarter-english.com

Moreover, you will need to send us a certifcado de residencia fiscal, available from the Agencia Tributaria though this form. Sending us this certificate, together with the signed declaration on your invoice, will enable you to be paid in full without your invoice being subjected to a withholding tax by the Italian tax authority. Please scan and email the certificate to info@smarter-english.com

Some useful links about being a freelancer vs autonomo, SMI, and other invoice templates.

If you pay tax in another country…

If you don’t see an option above which matches your situation, email us at info@smarter-english.com

Step 2 – the bank deets

Once you have created your document and emailed it to info@smarter-english.com, please insert your bank details in this form.

Why do you need to fill this information in, if you’ve already added it to your invoice? We will make batch-payments through the transferwise platform. Inserting your details here will help us to pay your invoice more quickly. Please double check your details before submitting, lest we pay the wrong person. 🙂

Step 3 – get paid

If you pay tax in Italy…

Smarter English will pay you the full invoice balance, net any withholding taxes, immediately.

If you pay tax elsewhere…

Smarter English srl will pay you 70% of the invoice balance immediately. The remaining 30% will be paid upon receipt of a valid Certificate of residency exonerating you from the Italian withholding tax.

What? Wait…I’m confused.

Check out this crash course in withholding taxes